Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Learn To Treasure The Journey Of Life


It’s a fact that your life may not be what you had envisioned or hoped for, however, it’s time to make a concrete decision that you’re going to treasure the journey.  Along our journey we will are confronted with many situations, some are filled with joy, and some with heartache. How we react to what we are faced with determines the attitude we’ll carry towards the rest of our journey.  I’ll be the first to admit that there are days when I wake up and don’t want to get out of bed because I feel as if I already know how the day will unravel.  It’s then that I remind myself of the lyrics to “Beautiful Day” by one of my favorite artist, India Arie:
“Wake up in the morning
And get out of bed
Start making a mental list in my head
Of all of the things that I am grateful for…”
Life is a process of experiences, good and not so favorable, that allow for a wonderful adventure if we’d learn to embrace the path.   It’s those day to day, moment by moment experiences along with the expectation that we bring to it that decides what we’ll receive along the way.  The treasure isn’t in the culmination of events; rather it’s in the path itself.
One day as I sat in a local coffee shop waiting for a client, I sat near the window and watched all the people that walked by.  I thought to myself how amazing it is that there so many different people in the world, all encased in their own sense of individuality.   Perhaps, because I’m a coach who deals with a variety of people, I was acutely aware that each person I saw had their own unique story to tell, complete with a past, present and future.
Treasuring the journey is all about being grateful for life itself and celebrating the opportunities that allow your adventure to be stamped with your own personal experiences complete with highs and lows.  It’s the culmination of events and experiences that make up our own biographical sketch; with each new day marking a new page in our story.    It’s only when you make a conscientious decision to treasure the journey that you’ll enter a life of gratitude.  These can just be fleeting moments and passing days or every event can have purpose and meaning if you’ll stop to take it all in.  Remember, the choice is always yours.
Life is a journey filled with lessons, hardships, heartaches, joys, celebrations and special moments that will ultimately lead us to our destination, our purpose in life. The road will not always be smooth; in fact, throughout our travels, we will encounter many challenges.  It’s the union of all of these that entitles us to the rights of our story; uniquely our own, filled with adventure  – a journey we can treasure.
In closing let’s explore more of India’s lyrics to “Beautiful Day”…
Early in the morning
It’s the dawn of a new day
New hopes new dreams new ways
I open up my eyes and
I open up my mind and
I wonder how life will surprise me today
Early in the morning
It’s the dawn of a new day
New hopes new dreams new ways
I open up my heart and
I’m going do my part and
Make this a positively beautiful day
Remember that we are human ‘beings’ and that means we must extract more than lessons from life. Let us learn to embrace the experiences so we can truly be authentic in all we say and do.


© 2013, Cherese L. Jackson. All rights reserved.






No comments:

Post a Comment