Monday, December 10, 2012

How To Heal Broken Dreams by Cherese Jackson

In life, just like in medicine, we need a professional to get us back on track. Here are a few things we all can use to speed up our recovery...

As we come to the close of another year, those on social media, like Facebook, know all too well what is about to take place. You’ve seen it, those grandiose posts declaring what the next year will bring for them. Some say prosperity, some put the friend list on notice that it’s time to ‘clean house’ and get rid of the negativity. Unfortunately, most of the chatter will never be followed up with actions. For whatever reason, we all seem to be fascinated with big promises, but know little of what to do to make it happen.

Several years ago while playing basketball I took a messy fall that left my leg in need of surgery. The doctors told me I was fortunate that I was brought to the hospital so quickly. My leg was injured in such a way that time would have only made the process harder. As I begin to see the rumblings of the new year approach, I can’t help but think that some are just frustrated because somewhere along the line, they suffered a ‘fracture’ and it was never treated properly.

In life, just like in medicine, we need a professional to get us back on track. Here are a few things we all can use to speed up our recovery:
  • When you’re injured, get a professional diagnosis immediately: Often we feel we are strong enough to fix ourselves. While that is admiral, it is also foolish. We are surrounded by people who have the qualifications to address our issues. The problem is we don’t show up. When I hurt my leg, all my friends had their own ideas of what was wrong. But when the pain is personal, you have to get it right.
  • Remember, treatment will hurt but it is necessary: Until the meds kick in, every little thing the doctor did hurt badly. Even the brace that was supposed to stabilize my knee was unbearable. It’s funny how the things that hurt us the most are really setting internal things aright. Don’t let the process and occasional pain deter you from getting what you need.
  • Utilize your support system during rehab: Only a few days after my injury, the doctor began setting a timeline for me to get active in a rehab facility. I was irritated to say the least. I felt I needed to stay in bed and rest my knee but the professional insisted it was time. What I found in rehab was a group of people who had suffered many variations of injuries just like mine. We had a common bond and when one of us was in pain or discouraged, there was a network of people cheering you on. In life, you need to be connected to people who’ve suffered, but are ready to make a comeback!
Your biography doesn’t have to determine your future: Little by little my knee gained strength. I was having fun with new peeps at rehab and even found I needed the pain meds less. Then as quickly as it began, my rehab visits were done and it was time to put it all to the test. I will admit, that first full day out of the house was scary. Would I make the stairs? Would my knee just give out? I had to gear up mentally and remind myself I was totally healed and ready for action. Remember that whatever happened in the past is over, and you can now paint a brighter future.

We’ve all been ‘broken’ at one time or another. Relationships have fractured, hearts have been dislocated and even our feelings have been sprained. Often it is the internal wounds that take the longest to heal. In those times where the pain seems too much to cope, keep these keys in mind and embrace the healing process. Dreams may break, but we don’t have to.

See ya at the top!

Cherese Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment